In New Jersey, all Non-Indictable Crimes, commonly referred to as Misdemeanors are handled in the Municipal Court of the city where the defendant was charged. While the penalties are less severe than Indictable Crimes, Non-Indictable crimes still carry potential penalties of jail time, probation, and fines.
All Traffic Violations are also handled in the Municipal Court where the defendant was charged. Traffic Violations can come with severe fines, points on your license, and car insurance consequences.
Some of the most common Traffic Violations and the amount of points they come with are listed below:
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-81 Failure to observe a traffic signal – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-85 Improper passing on right or off roadway – 4 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-89 Tailgating – 5 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-90 Failure to yield at intersection – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-96 Reckless driving – 5 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-97 Careless driving – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4:98 Speeding up to 14 mph above limit – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-99 Speeding 15-29 mph above limit – 4 points
Speeding 30mph or more above limit – 5 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-105 Failure to stop at traffic light – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-123 Improper right or left turn – 3 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-125 Improper U-turn – 3 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-126 Failure to give proper signal – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-127 Improper backing or turning in street – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-129 Leaving scene of accident – no injuries – 2 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-129 Leaving scene of accident – personal injury – 8 points
- N.J.S.A. 39:4-144 Failure to observe “stop” or “yield” sign – 2 points
These offenses can have devastating consequences if you do not have an attorney who knows the law and how to present the strongest defense. Mr. Cirocco will guide you through the process and ensure you have the strongest possible legal representation.